Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Into the woods...

After discovering the forest down the street, I've been super excited about going camping.  And finally Mommy and Daddy got the courage (read... were stupid and crazy enough) to take Davin & me camping!! They decided to go during probably the HOTTEST weekend this summer.  They said that we didn't go far, but it seemed like a long car ride (especially in the traffic on I-66).  Luckily we had Cheetos to snack on.  FINALLY, we made it there!!  Shenandoah National Park.  Yeah!  One of the best parts was that it was cool... relatively.  It was only 82 when we arrived instead of the 102 in the city.
Our new tent in all its glory.  REI - need a pix for your website?
The first night was a little out of control - since we got in at 7:30pm and had to make dinner and pitch the tent before Davin and melted down (or Davin jumping into the fire).  Mommy & Daddy did okay.  Davin screamed for less than a half an hour before going to bed and well... I eventually went to sleep... maybe by 1 am.  The morning went better.  Davin woke up with a HUGE SMILE on his face and started pointing outside.  He was so excited to wake up and see a forest outside the windows.  I wasn't quite as excited to wake up.  Like Daddy, I don't "do" mornings. I do "do" playing with kids around the campground and chasing after butterflies.  

Davin checking out his 1st pair of shoes.
Despite the heat warnings, we went for a 'kid-friendly hike'.  I would have to disagree with the lady who said this was good for 'little ones'.  I complained continuously... even going downhill.  (Yep, I'm that girl.) I DIDn't complain though once we found the stream.  Daddy was disappointed because he hoped for more water.  But it was enough for Davin & me.  
How gorgeous is this!?
Playing in a different kind of pool
The butterflies loved my shoes.
And me too!

2 comments:

Grandpa Jim/Nana Lynn said...

Butterflies must like you (you must be sweet) if they landed on you and your shoes. The water in the stream was a little low; but, at least, you got your feet wet. I'm glad you got to enjoy the great outdoors. The next time you come to No. California, we will take you were the trees are very big and the water is a little deeper...

RGW said...

Congrats on the camping trip! Can't wait to hear more about it next weekend!